Monday, November 19, 2012

Book Review: Eat That Frog! by Brian Tracy

I am a master procrastinator.  There is no denying it.  I have struggled with this trait for as long as I can remember.

Todd always jokes, “If you were a nation, you’d be procrasti-nation!”  I found this book on the library computer system from another branch and I knew I had to read it!

 
Photo Credit

 

When the book was available at my library to pick up, I immediately noticed how compact it was and I thought, “This is the perfect book for me!”  Why was it the perfect book?  Because for those of us who procrastinate (with some ADD tendencies), we get overwhelmed by large books and procrastinate on reading them!  Can you imagine?  Procrastinating on reading a book on how to train your mind to stop procratinating!

That being said, I dove right in.

I was interested from the very first page.
"If you are like most people today, you are overwhelmed with too much to do and too little time.  As you struggle to get caught up, new tasks and responsibilities just keep rolling in, like the waves of the ocean.  Because of this, you will never be able to do everything you have to do.  You will never be caught up.  You will always be behind in some of your tasks and responsibilities, and probably in many of them."
You may be wondering what frogs have to do with procrastination, but everything in the book revolves around these simple thought processes:

"Mark Twain once said taht if the first thingn you do each morning is to eat a live frog, you can go through the day with the satisfaction of knowing that that is probably the worst thing that is going to happen to you all day long. 
Your "frog" is your biggest, most important task, the one you are most likely to procrastinate on if you don't do something about it.  It is also the one task that can have the greatest positive impact ony our life and results at the moment."
 
 Rule 1:
If you have to eat two frogs, eat the ugliest one first.

Rule 2:
If you have to eat a live frog at all, it doesnt pay to sit and look at it for very long.

I will be honest that the first 40 pages of this book were the most motivating to me.  The rest o the book was more about what to do in business-type settings to get past the procrastination.  Though it is good to know, the quote about the frog and the rules above are what have been motivating me the most to "eat my frog" every day.

The book goes on the the following 21 steps about how one goes about accomplishing the thought processes above.
 
  1. Set the Table
  2. Plan Every Day in Advance
  3. Apply the 80/20 Rule to Everything
  4. Consider the Consequences
  5. Practice Creative Procrastination
  6. Use the ABCDE Method Continually
  7. Focus on Key Result Areas
  8. Apply the Law of Three
  9. Prepare Thoroughly Before You Begin
  10. Take It One Oil Barrel at a Time
  11. Upgrade Your Key Skills
  12. Leverage Your Special talents
  13. Identify Your Key Constraints
  14. Put the PRessure on Yourself
  15. Maximize Your Pesronal Powers
  16. Motivate Yourself into Action
  17. Get Out of the Technological Time Sinks
  18. Slice and Dice the Task
  19. Create Large Chunks of Time
  20. Develop a Sense of Urgency
  21. Single Handle Every Task

This book is a must-read for anyone who is looking for motivation on ridding of their procrastination.  At less than 130 pages and a 3 hour read, I know it has changed my life and my tendency to procrastinate!  When I start my day, I know what “frog” I need to eat and try to get accomplished first thing because after that, the rest of the day should be smooth sailing. 

So, my question to you is, what is your frog?
I know for me, it is housework and getting organized. That is the main reason I got this book: to get motivated and take care of the tasks (or the frogs) that have been piling up on me for years. 

Ribbit! Ribbit!

 
Photo Credit
 

 

*Disclosure:  I was in no way compensated or influenced to write this review.  All opinions expressed are my own.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I NEED this book! I am the worst procrastinator too. I checked out The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Peopel by Steven Covey and started reading it but didn't get too far. The thing was huge! I know it's supposed to be an amazing book but dang, it was so long. I'm like is there a condensed version of this? haha.

    I will def. check out this book. thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I hear you loud and clear, Stephanie! I get overwhelmed with the larger books too. To be honest, you get the point of this book within the first 50 pages. After that, it is alot about business. But still, it hit home for me and I hope it does for you too. :-)

      Delete