Thursday, December 20, 2012

Intentionally Uncommitted

Everyone has 168 hours a week.  I don’t know about you, but out of those 168 hours, I work 42.5 hours, travel 10 hours and sleep at least 56 hours.  I am very particular about what I do with the remaining 59.5 hours of my week.

It seems like everyone we know is always busy:  they have social lives taking up much of their time and energy from Monday through Sunday.  Todd and I are quite the opposite.

Todd and I attempt to keep our calendars open as much as possible.  To be honest, we don’t even keep a calendar due to the lack appointments we keep.  Our lives are so laid back that all the dates I need to remember are kept in my head…many times no more than 2-3 weeks out.  Not having a social life means we have more time with one another.

Admittedly, I am the one in the relationship who is always trying to make friends with other couples to go out and do things with once in a while.  We schedule times and meetings with our friends every few months and for us, that is enough.  I love my friends and family, but we do not feel we need to “hang out” with them every week.  My favorite thing to do with friends and family is to have them over for a meal or go over to their house, sit and talk.  We have one set of friends who like to do some of the same things we do (and they are frugal too!), so we go on nature walks, get ice cream, play board games and have a good time chatting. 

Since we started dating, Todd has been made aware how important family dinners are to me.  Nearly every dinner we eat together is sitting at the dining room table together with nothing other than great meals and the two of us talking about our day and our plans.  By having a sit-down dinner every single night, it doesn’t leave much time for extracurricular activities during the week after work.  To be honest, I enjoy life more this way. 

We consciously have to keep in mind what is important to us (spending time with one another) and say “no” to those activities that would take away from the little time we do have together each week. 

 
Are you intentionally uncommitted with your time?
I would love to hear about why you have decided to live this way as well.

This post is linked up to Intentional Me.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Meg! We are so similar, except that we are more unitentionally uncomitted!
    We love to be home in the evenings, esp when there is still plenty of daylight (this winter all I want to do is sleep when it gets dark!)
    Our social lives are mostly online these days, we eat and watch movies etc together. Going our for a meal is a rare treat, and I believe tastes even better for being so rare!
    It's fab and I wouldn't change it for the world :)
    Janie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You crack me up. I agree with you about the meal out being a rare treat (and tastes that much better because it's rare!). I wouldnt change our laid-back life either. I feel it all boils down to contentment.

      Delete