Friday, May 31, 2013

Celebrating Hubby's Birthday

We don’t do much for birthdays around here, but birthdays have always been a big deal for me.  This is probably because my mother spoiled us rotten on our birthdays with breakfast in bed, a gift with breakfast (I always had a flower in a vase and a piece of jewelry) and anything we wanted for dinner.  Mom took special requests for our birthday dinners and I vaguely remember french onion soup and crab legs for dinner for one of my birthdays and everyone had to suffer through it.  We also went out that weekend for a birthday meal as a family to our favorite restaurant where we could order whatever we wanted.  My brother and I both always chose Red Lobster.  So yes, my mother made birthdays extremely special in our home.  As a teenager, my mother had balloons and flowers sent to high school, and even as an adult, she had them sent to work and she always made me feel special on my birthday.  For my 31st birthday, mom took me to get my first (and only, thankyouverymuch) tattoo.  The best part – she got one too.  We have them in the same inconspicuous location and the same design.  (Side note: Mom wanted to do this for my 30th birthday; however, I was on blood thinners due to some medical issues I had 6 months before my 30th birthday.)

Todd’s family is quite the opposite.  Birthdays are just another day to them.  When my birthday rolled around a few months after we started dating and nothing was planned, I was upset.  It took only that first birthday for Todd to realize how important they are to me.  Todd wishes we (my mom and I) would forget his birthday altogether.  He doesn’t want to get any older and doesn’t want to have to feel any more aches and pains.  I should probably honor his wishes, but I don’t.  For his 40th birthday, Todd got to fly a plane!  He will never forgive me for that gift, but I will tell you, it was a lot of fun. J

On the in-between birthdays, I try to make his day as simple, carefree and special as possible.
This year, I made him a nice dinner with foods that we don’t generally buy.  Unfortunately, he had to work on his birthday this year, but this was his menu.

Breakfast: Glazed doughnuts (his favorite)
Lunch: He ate whatever he took to work for lunch
Dinner: Steak with mushrooms and onions, shrimp, pasta salad, corn on the cob and a baked potato
Drink with dinner: Sparkling Apple Cider

Yes, I went all out for his dinner.
I am suffering from the worst case of poison ivy I’ve ever had and Todd mentioned that we should just go out to a local restaurant for a burger on his birthday to make it easier on me.  Though I appreciate his concern, I enjoy preparing for birthdays as much as I enjoy celebrating my own!

This is what dinner looked like on his actual birthday yesterday, May 30th.  Yes, it was a feast.  After all, we like our food!




We ate like a king and queen on Todd’s birthday and enjoyed every minute of it.  This meal cost a total of $18.38 (including his breakfast), which is steep, but well worth the splurge.  We wouldn’t have been able to order two burgers from the local restaurant for any less than this large meal.  The best part is that there were leftovers to enjoy!

How do you celebrate birthdays in your home?

1 comment:

  1. We usually choose a special meal to cook at home, invite the entire family and follow the meal with a homemade dessert of choice (cake, brownies, cookies etc).

    ReplyDelete