On Valentine's Day, I was informed that my hours at work would be cut starting the next week, therefore, my pay would be cut...by 25%. To say that I didnt see this coming would be a lie - the company has been selling less and less with each passing month with February being nearly dead. Over the past couple of months, I've witnessed a coworker lose 25% of his pay (and maintain his hours), another one let go and yet another who had his hours cut by 25% as well.
After the shock of learning that my hours have been cut for a job that I have been going to for over 11 years, I quickly realized the silver lining that this provides me (and Todd). They include:
- More time in the mornings to spend with my husband and our fur-family.
- Time to be able to get out when the sun comes up in the morning with the pups to get exercise in each day: there are no more excuses!
- Time to get my chores done...before work!
- Time to focus on starting the business that has been floating around in my head for the past 6 months.
- No more alarm clocks needed in the mornings since I dont have to leave until 9:30.
- No more rush hour traffic!
- Less time away from home and my fur-babies.
- The realization that we live as we do (watching/minimizing our spending and having an ample emergency fund) for times like these.
The truth of the matter is that I have not been happy where I am working for many years. This very well be the push that I need to get out there and find a position closer to home that is more in line with how I best do business (creating and maintaining strong relationships) and an employer who is willing to foster my yearning to learn and grow as a professional. Todd was able to find this in his new position and comes home every day saying, "Why didnt I do this sooner?"
I am thankful to have a husband that supports me in whatever I decide to do: stay with my current employer with the limited hours or find a new position.
What are you grateful for today?