Let me just say that I could have re-written this book in its entirety because of the invaluable knowledge it provided. The author, Peter Walsh, had me pegged from Page 1 in the book titled It’s All Too Much. I believe this book is for anybody who wants to find a way to look at their belongings a little differently and start to get rid of some of their clutter.
I will be the first to admit that we have a lot of stuff in our home. We go to garage sales and flea markets as well as obtain a lot of stuff from our parents. Over the past year, I have had the feeling that its just too much. We really don’t need most of what we have and it is just taking up space (and in turn, our time, energy and resources) in our home.
I believe that this book is a must-read to anyone who is looking to dig their way out of clutter.
I will leave you with several quotes that resonated with me most throughout the book:
- "Clutter prevents you from enjoying the most precious, intimate moments in life. Clutter robs you of far more than the space it occupies – it steals your life!”
- "Does the stuff you own contribute to the lives they were hoping to achieve or is it getting in the way of that vision?"
- "Go through every room. First, identify what you want from the space. Then, determine if the contents of the space serves that purpose."
- "Does this item enhance the life you want to live?"
- “When you succeed in decluttering it will be because you’ve made good life choices. And when you’re living by those choices, you’ll experience the joy, the lightness, and the freedom that come with natural order.”
- "Your home is within your control. It should be the place where you escape all negative forces in the world. Your home should be the antidote to stress, not the cause."
- "Clearing the clutter in your physical space will go a long way toward clearing the clutter in your mind and your relationships."
- "Clutter stops us from living in the present."
- "Those things we hoard for an imaginary future do little other than limit our possibilities and stunt our growth."
If any of these quotes resonate with you, I suggest picking up the book from the library and reading through it. It has me motivated to get rid of the clutter in our life!