Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Just Do It!

pro·cras·ti·nate
To put off doing something, especially out of habitual carelessness or laziness. 
To postpone or delay needlessly.

I am a master procrastinator.  It will be 7:55AM and I will be running around the house with a wet head, packing my lunch, getting dressed, brushing my teeth, putting the chickens in their coop and putting Lana on her line outside.  Mind you, I have to leave for work by 8:00AM!

Lately, my moto has been the same as Nike’s slogan: “Just Do It!”
I will see something that needs done, and instead of putting it on my “to do” list, I just complete the task.

Examples:
 Dishes in the dishwasher are clean – instead of waiting until I get home from work in the evening, I complete the task before leaving in the morning.  Time: 5 minutes

Chicken Coop needs cleaned – instead of waiting to do it in the evening, I get it done in the morning as I kick the ball around for Lana.  Time: 10 minutes

What’s for dinner? I decide in the morning and prepare as much of it as I can so that when I get home, I can just heat it up and have it on the table as soon as Todd gets home from work (I beat him home by 10-15 minutes on the days we both have to work.)

(Do you notice that in the morning, I put things off until the evening?   In the evening, I promise myself I will get it done in the morning!  Then, chores don’t get completed for several days until they pile up and become overwhelming.)

When I wake up in the morning, I know I should walk the pupperoni (Lana) so that she will be pooped and sleep most of the day while we are at work.  In the past, if I would wake up tired, I would hit the “nap” button on the alarm, giving me an extra half hour of sleep.  That really isn’t fair to Lana nor is it fair to my own health.  So now, even if I grumble under my breath in the mornings, I get my butt out of bed, get some clothes on and put on my walking shoes. 

By doing little chores and tasks as they come up, I notice that my evenings are much less stressful! And sometimes, I even have time to do things that I want to do, like post blogs in advance, take pictures, play around in the garden, and even read!  Not to mention when I do these things throughout the week, it is one less task I need to complete (or put off) on the weekends!

Do you procrastinate as much as I do?
What do you do to help ward off the terrible procrastination bug?

This post is linked up to the Homestead Blog Hop!

No comments:

Post a Comment