Monday, October 7, 2013

Cleaning Routine: Monday (Bathroom)

Over the past month and a half, for the first time in my adult life I have been able to keep up with the (basic) cleaning around the house!  This includes keeping up with the dishes, laundry, bathroom, dusting, sweeping and mopping.  I cannot say that I enjoy cleaning but I can say that I really like the results after I’m done!

I will be posting my list along with before and after pictures of what my cleaning routine looks like each day of the week and how long it takes each day to complete.  Your times may vary depending on how many rooms you have to complete.  For me, I focus on the main living areas that we use.

Morning Routine

I have an hour and a half from the time I wake up until the time I have to leave for work in the mornings.  That being said, my morning routine is extremely laid back.

  • Laundry: I throw in a load of laundry 3-4 times a week within 15 minutes of waking so that it will be ready to be hung on the line, drying racks or put into the dryer before work (hubby’s clothes only).
  • Make the Bed: I would be lying if I told you that the bed is made daily.  I would say a fair number of days the bed is made per week would be 3 days.
  • Dishes: If the dishes were done the night before, I unload them in the morning.  Otherwise, I put the dishes from breakfast into the dishwasher.
Because we didn't clean up at all throughout the weekend, this is what Monday morning looked like.  It took 20 minutes to clean up the kitchen a little bit before work and load the dishwasher to run before I left for work.  (There were so many dishes, there were some left in the sink for later in the evening.)



Evening Routine

  • Bathroom
    • Wipe down mirror, light fixture and pictures
    • Clean counter-top
    • Wipe down soap dish, q-tip holder, and toothbrush holders
    • Wipe down walls
    • Clean toilet
    • Wipe down baseboards
    • Sweep the floor
    • Shower (Confession #1: this gets done once every 2-3 weeks! Confession#2: by Todd!)
  • Kitchen
    • Wipe down dining room table
    • Dishes either washed or put into dishwasher to wait for a full load
    • Put everything on the counter-tops in its proper place
      • My purse and lunchbox goes into the baker’s rack
      • Books go into the bedroom
      • Sale flyers get put onto the fridge with a magnet
      • Hubby’s wallet is put away
    • Wipe down counters
    • Clean the top of the stove
    • Empty recycle bin (if needed)
    • Take out the trash (if needed)
    • Sweep the floor (it usually needs it after the weekend!)
  • Laundry
    • Put away clean clothes

Time to complete bathroom: 10 minutes
Time to complete kitchen: 40 minutes
Time to fold clothing and put away: 5 minutes



Oh, you don't have dog bones all over the place in your bathroom?
Hmmm.  That's odd...
The bathroom surfaces didn't need much work this week - just wiped down.



Phew!

For me, Mondays take some time but I also see the biggest difference on this day and it makes the rest of the cleaning schedule easy-peasy for the next 3 days!

2 comments:

  1. Great post, friend!
    I'd say I am good at de-cluttering and keeping surfaces clear. But cleaning? Yuck! Lol
    But I also know that doing a little bit each day takes 30 minutes of my time and keeps our home nice and tidy and more how I like it.
    This is great encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for the encouragement and kind words! :-)

      Delete