Thursday, August 25, 2011

Recipe: Pineapple Upside Down Cake

For my mother's birthday last week, I made her a pineapple upside down cake.  This is a cake that my grandmother always made and is one of my favorites.  When I asked grandma for the recipe, I was surprsiesd at how easy it was to make!

Ingredients:



1 jar of maraschino cherries
Brown sugar
1 can (20 oz) crushed pineapple (drained)
1 box yellow cake mix (or this recipe from Frugal & Simple)

Directions:

  • Preheat oven at 350
  • Spray the bottom of a 13 x 9 glass baking dish
  • Spread about a cup of brown sugar on the bottom of the baking dish (I wing it - we like brown sugar)
  • Scatter the cherries over the brown sugar

  • Pour the can of (drained) crushed pineapple over the cherries.  It may look like there is too much juice, but that is what makes the cake so moist!


  • Pour the cake mix over the crushed pineapple
  • Bake for 40-45 minutes at 350 until cooked the whole way through (butter knife or toothpick comes out clean)

  • Flip the cake over on a foil-lined cookie sheet


  • Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love Pineapple Upside cake and request it every year for my birthday. My mom's is my favorite! She bakes it in an iron skillet with lots of butter. She also puts the cherries inside the center of pineapple slices. I am going to have to try your recipe in the very near future!

    ReplyDelete